Friday, August 12, 2005

Robot From Future Realy Clerk At Liqour Store

Something straight from the talkies happened to me yesterday a coupla hours before I was to participate in a poetry reading to be held at the hostel in which I am currently staying. I went to the Chinese liquor store on the corner for some limes and a bottle of Sir Henry when the old Chinese buzzard behind the counter asked me where I'm gonna drink the stuff.

"At the hostel.", I replied. "Hostel?", asked he, "Hmmm. High class! Where you from?"
"Tulsa, Oklahoma. I rode my bicycle here from there."
"AAhh...Like a pilgrimage?"
"Sorta."
"Destination?"
"None."
"You must go two blocks up to Grant to the monastery. THAT is your destination."
With that he hands me this big-ass hard-bound book entitled "In Memory of the First Anniversary of the Nirvana of VENERABLE MASTER HSUAN HUA and the Twentieth Anniversary of the CITY OF TEN THOUSAND BUDDHAS".

Pretty nice book. Lotsa pictures. Beautiful poetry. I even read some of it at the event.

I'm pretty much over it now. No callings found today.

I guess I will have to go to the monastery tomorrow to give them their book back.

Maybe they'll give me caligraphy lessons when I get back from Asia. Maybe the liqour store was never there. Maybe Florida works like a couch, only bigger and less soft. Sure, I can ponder the big stuff 'till my stool petrifies in my guts. Why bother?
I guess the Buddhists are hurtin' for members these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home