Saturday, June 11, 2005

Eater of Monarchs

Holy Mary MuFu. The ride out of Howard, CO. was steadily uphill right up to the aproach to Monarch Pass. Then it REALY got uphill. A 6% grade winding up the mountain for over ten miles. I walked most of it as the altitide realy started getting to me. The scenery was just sublime. Unbelieveable, in fact. At around 5:30pm or so I was at about 10,900 feet and realy starting to burn out. The sun was going down, clouds were thickening, and it was starting to snow. I pushed the bike on. Finaly at 11,200+ I made it over the pass laughing and crying at the same time like a maniac.

The run down the other side was ball-shrinking adrenaline. Ten miles in the driving snow, flying down the mountain like I was on a motorcycle. After reaching the bottom in a town called Sargents, a bar maid told me of a place a little down the road where I could camp. Not a bad spot. The ride here to Gunison was easy after tackling that Monarch. Probably head on to Sapinero after lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home