Sunday, August 08, 2004

Renewal

Friday, after work, I swing by the pawn shop and pick up a Diamond Back mountain bike in excellent shape for 40 bucks. I spent most of the weekend at some friends' house drinking beer, cooking out, and setting up our workshop of madness.
It's Sunday. Time for a bike ride.
The usual downtown tour. I see more activity than usual. Noon. The churches spill their sheep out onto the sidewalks, across the streets, into their cars, and off to village Inn, Jason's Deli, etc.
It's another cool, cloudy Sunday. I've never seen such a pleasant August here in Tulsa. Global warming, my ass! I ride up a ramp to a roof-top parking lot for Bank-One. Something here I never knew about. The Tom Tom Room. Was it an old club? What the Hell? The architecture can only be described by me as mid-60's television deco. It looks like something Mike Brady designed for Captain Kirk. Deserted. Of course. I'll find out more about this ol' jewel later.
I head toward the Brady Theater and notice chairs and tables on the sidewalk next to the Bowery, a snob bar. Seems a little eatery is open for biz. FINALLY! It's a tad on the foofy side. The type of place "fancy" ladies go for lunch when they're out spending the ol' man's money. Hell, at least SOMETHING is open.I grab a table and ask for a menu. Nothing is under 10 bucks. I order some kinda Mexican breakfast casserole thing that turned out excellent, but not $12.00 excellent. I look longingly over at Mexicali, a Mexican restaurant about 150 feet down the street, remembering with regret that it's usually open Sundays, is cheaper, and has a bar.
That'll learn me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home