Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Dulcetry

Had a rain day at work today. We got outa there at noon. It was still cloudy and just ever so slightly drizzling. Beautiful. A record, in fact. Rainiest summer ever recorded in Oklahoma. I relish every moment of it. So what do I do? That's right, children, I hop on the bike and head downtown. I FINALLY get to see what it's like when everything's open. The main mall, Bartlett Square area is being renovated like a mufu. They ripped out all the trees and the beautiful fountains that were linked together with a flowing stream with fist-sized stones at the bottom. now it's a big construction site with chain-link fence corridors herding the professionals to their lunch appointments. Sterilization. I lock my bike up in an alley and go into Billy's on the Square, or whateverthefuck it's called. I woulda went into Lou's Deli but some fat fuck, I assume it was Lou, all in black sporting a ridiculous pompadour hair-do was cussing, in a Lebanese accesnt, one of the construction guys for a truck in front of his place. ALL these establishments have to deal with the "progress". Apparently Lou thinks he's a special case. Fucking prick.
After I finish a so-so meatball sub I head to Orphas for desert. I belly up. Natives on one side, rednecks on the other. I sit a little closer to the natives. Conversations with toothless brick layers, down-and-outers, ex-hobos, practicing hobos, the last of the true true-blood indians, and top-of-the-bell-curve-mediocre nobodies like me happen for the duration of my pitcher of High Life. I leave and the sun is giving his all.
What a pleasant day and it's not even 5 o' clock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home