Sunday, September 19, 2004

Games With Cooked Flesh

I rode my bike out to Chandler Park where were held the Scottish Highland games XXV. I snuck in through the woods along an overgrown game trail I discovered when I used to go climbing/rappeling there years ago. Got there in time to see the women's' caber toss. SCARY. I met up with people from my sword class who were in period costume. We milled around the various booths and then caught the opening ceremonies for the day. Colors were held by the Native American Vets who were in war bonnets and the whole nine complete with rifles and jinglebells around their knees. They had a caller on the mic beating a small drum and they danced in procession toward the stage weaving in and out of eachother, stomping to the beat of the drum, bells jingling away, firing their rilfles in the air, holding the American, Oklahoman, and POW flags high. Simply fantastic. This was followed by the pipe&drum bands marching in and sounding glorious with those pipes wailing away. Now one piper alone is annoying. A hundred or more together is absolutely awesome.
The sun cooked away at our un-acclimated flesh, for we had such a mild Summer. I did not escape the deadly rays. My shoulders should be radiating for a while. I gobbled down a couple of meat pies and some haggis&chips then our group split up and I went in search of shade for to lighten my flask of Calvados. I only took a coupla swigs and realized that it was just too damn hot for drinking outside and I still had a good, hot ride home ahead of me.
When I got home the only thing lighter was my wallet. I spent almost 30 bucks just on food and beer. That coulda fed me for a month. I had a good time in spite of that. Now it's time to go ahead with the sipping and blatant abuse of allergy medicine.
"BLAIGH SHGAILEI AAGIESHA!"
Which not only is not Gaelic, but isn't ANY language and it doesn't mean anything.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some funny shit.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home